A Few Words About Us
HISTORY OF MONTE CRISTOChristopher William Crawley [1841-1910] acquired 520 acres of land on conditional purchase. His fortunes changed when the Great Southern Railway Line opened in 1878, and he built the Railway Hotel opposite the soon to be bustling railway station. Crawley wealth soon increased dramatically, acquiring almost the entire area of present day Junee at his landed peak.
Monte Cristo (literally Mount of Christ) came into being in 1884/85. Prior to the construction of the new house, the Crawley's lived in a small brick cottage now called the Original Homestead.